Professional Style

Palate vs. Palette vs. Pallet

January 2016
Spot the Error

Gretchen frequently dines at high-end restaurants; consequently, she has developed a sophisticated palette.

If you plan to use a word that sounds like PAL-et, it might be a good idea to consider which of the following words you really want:

  • Palette – a board that painters use for holding or mixing colors.
  • Palate – the roof of the mouth; figuratively, a sense of taste.
  • Pallet – a straw-filled mattress or a hard bed (usually wooden and used in warehouses).

In the “restaurant” sentence above, Gretchen’s palate (not palette) became sophisticated.

Check out more writing tips below…


Search Tips by Topic

Professional Style Monthly Subscription

Sign up to get Professional Style delivered straight to your inbox every month. It’s FREE, and you can’t beat FREE!

Don’t worry ... we keep your information safe from those pesky spammers.